Our lives are busy, and without even realizing it, they are super fast paced. Think about it – where the hell did July go?? In a blink it was gone! So, time fly’s by so quickly, we really need to try and make the most of every moment. The best way to do this is to have high energy levels, so that we have the ability to live our lives to the fullest. I believe that diet and lifestyle play a huge role in sustained energy, and this recipe is definitely one to get those energy levels up (and keep them there) when you need it.
One of the massive things I’ve noticed since I changed my diet and my lifestyle is the huge increase in sustained energy levels. Now don’t get me wrong, we all have ‘those’ kind of days where we can’t be arsed to do anything. Be it hormones or whatever, at the end of the day we are all human. Despite this, my energy levels have been awesome!
I feel more alert, have a shit-tonne-less brain fog, and an overall more active day. I have the energy to go on random long walks, to do a 2 hour home yoga flow, to make a wholesome nourishing meal a the end of everyday. I generally have more energy to do more shit, which is awesome!!! That’s why I absolutely LOVE this way of living and eating! It is the absolute best!!!
So I bet you’re wondering how? Well, I can put it down to these few things:
- Sustained Blood Sugar Levels: by having no rapid highs and dropping lows, that cause roller coaster energy levels. By eating low GI, slow releasing foods, my energy supplies are stable throughout the day. Being a Type 1 Diabetic, I have to have complete control of my sugar levels, and the foods that I eat are vital in me achieving this.
- Exercise: is one of the most important factors in increasing energy levels. It may seem counter intuitive, but researchers say expending energy by engaging in regular exercise may pay off with increased energy in the long run. Regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy to go about your daily tasks. (Source) Any exercise or physical activity that gets the heart rate up and the blood flowing and releases endorphin’s is going to raise your energy level.
- Hydration: By Staying hydrated throughout the day, I believe my body can function at it’s optimum, helping my metabolism, organs and tissues function at their best. This allows more energy in excess for my day. Here is a nifty Hydration calculator which can help give you an idea of how much water you should be drinking each day.
- Small Snacks: Snacks in between meals help so much to keep my sugar levels on an even plateau, which keeps my energy levels sustained throughout the day. By having small snacks in between meals, not only does it help to boost your metabolism, but it balances your blood sugar levels, and for us diabetics, that is super important. Although people with normal functioning pancreas’s have the added benefit, high sugar diets cause havoc with all sugar and energy levels. Rather opting for a healthy snack is the best way to go. There’s nothing worse than coming to the part of the day when you need a pick-me-up, and having nothing on hand to boost those energy levels.
That’s where these balls of deliciousness come into the picture. They are raw, so no cooking required. They are so easy to throw together and keep up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge (not that they’ll last that long 😉 ) They are a great option for a healthy in between meal snack. The ingredients in them promote sustained energy release as well as a whole range of nutrients! The raw cacao in them alone boasts a list of antioxidants and minerals including magnesium and chromium ( helps in the regulation of blood sugar which is beneficial for diabetes.)
The blend of nuts means that each ball is loaded with heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals, and also helps with sustained energy and keeping you fuller for longer – great for between meals.
Now I will admit, these balls are incredibly delicious and decadent! I battle to not eat a handful in one sitting just because they’re THAT good! Who ever said healthy was boring and tasteless has absolutely no idea what they’re talking about!!! These balls are great for lunchboxes, although if you’re worried about the caffeine content in the raw cacao for your kiddies, substitute with carob! Just as tasty!!! Again, versatility at it’s best 🙂
- 1 Cup Medjool Dates (Pitted)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 Cut Raw Pecans
- 2 Tsp Peanut Butter
- 1/3 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 2 TBS Raw Cacao
- 1-2 TBS Raw Cacao Nibs
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- 1 TBS Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1-2 TBS Agave Nectar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- Raw Cacao for dusting
- In a food processor, add the nuts, desiccated coconut, raw cacao nibs and pumpkin seeds. Blend for approx 10 sec until broken down into approx 3-4mm pieces.
- Add the raw cacao and salt and blend twice to ensure thoroughly mixed.
- Add the dates, peanut butter, coconut oil and agave and blend. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides from time to time. Blend until all ingredients are mixed and a squishy big ball forms. Feel the consistency of the mixture. If it's too dry, and a tiny bit more coconut oil, or a little more nuts if the consistency is too moist. You'll be able to tell while blending, the mixture should slowly start to all stick together.
- Once you're happy with the mixture, rub a bit of coconut oil in your hands. I find that this is the best way to roll balls without the mixture sticking to your fingers and palm of your hands.
- Roll your balls into the preferred size, by rolling smaller balls you'll get a greater yield.
- Dust with raw cacao and allow to set in the fridge overnight or freezer for 3 hrs. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days.
Hope you enjoy these magical little balls of energy 🙂