Well, my friends, that’s the moment I had after making (and tasting) this super yummy Warming Turmeric Latte. I could seriously sit and drink this all day. It’s so soothing and warming and hits all the right flavor notes. The scent of warming cinnamon and cardamom wafting through the house alone is so inviting and so relaxing!
It’s the best on a cold day and we’ve had some pretty chilly mornings and evenings lately. I certainly am looking forward to Spring which seems to be more and more evident these days. There are currently blossoms outside our kitchen window and I watch the birds and bees excitedly sip their nectar.
Yes, I think the brunt of Winter is behind us! Oddly enough, I actually have really really enjoyed this Winter and am slowly appreciating the balance of the seasons more and more.
So, last Saturday morning I decided to experiment and that’s how this recipe was created. It most certainly is one sure way to warm your entire body.
Here’s what you can expect:
- The silky Almond Milk texture
- The warming Turmeric flavor
- The sweet Cinnamon hints
- The fiery Peppercorns subtle undertones
- The flavorful Cardamom essence
- The Coriander Seeds give it a bit of a twist
- And the subtle hint of Sea Salt ties everything together beautifully
All combined into one warm glass of magic! This concoction seriously does work! And it’s a great way to get all the benefits of turmeric into your system.
Why is Turmeric so good for me?
Curcumin is the principle curcuminoid, a compound in turmeric that gives it its yellow color and is also responsible for the amazing health benefits. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Curcumin is so powerful that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs. It actually targets multiple steps in the inflammatory pathway, at the molecular level.
- Curcumin is also believed to be able to neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure. Oxidative damage, involving free radicals, is believed to be one of the mechanisms behind aging and many diseases. It’s then able to stimulate the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It improves the function of the endothelium and is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant.
- Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
- Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
- Arthritis is a common disorder characterized by joint inflammation. Many studies show that curcumin can help treat symptoms of arthritis and is in some cases more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs.
- A study in 60 depressed patients showed that curcumin was as effective as prozac in alleviating the symptoms of depression. Source
Why add Black Pepper?
It is beneficial to take black pepper with turmeric because it helps the body absorb turmeric. The human body has a tough time utilizing curcumin effectively. However just a small amount of black pepper boosted bioavailability of curcumin by up to 2000%, the study shows.
So all in all, some pretty powerful stuff! And that’s why you need to incorporate this magical little rhizome into your diet! I hope you try this recipe out and enjoy it! Let me know in the comments below how you found it, and remember to Subscribe if you haven’t already to keep updated with further yummy recipes and inspiring posts 🙂
- 1 3cm Knob Fresh Turmeric (Peeled and grated)
- 1 5cm stick fresh Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Whole Coriander Seeds
- 3-4 Cardamom Pods
- 8-10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 2-4 Whole Cloves
- 300ml Organic Almond Milk
- 1-3 Tsp Rice Malt Syrup (Optional)
- Put all ingredients into a medium pot.
- On a medium heat bring the mixture to bubble, for about 2-3mins stirring often.
- Once the milk begins to froth and rise, remove from heat and continue to stir.
- Once it has cooled slightly, pour into a jug through a sieve to catch the ingredients.
- Serve in your favorite mug and enjoy
- Use Organic wherever possible
- You can add Rice Malt Syrup to sweeten, however I found the cinnamon sweetened it enough.
- This recipe serves one