As we all know by now, avocados are one of the most delicious additions to any healthy diet. From smashed avo toast, to toppings on a colorful salad, or sneakily the main ingredient in chocolate mousse, this fruit has grown immensely in popularity over the last couple of years.
But it’s the inner seed or ‘pit’ that seems to be getting more and more recognition lately for it’s surprisingly huge nutritional benefits. As if the creamy, smooth and delectable fruit wasn’t good enough, it’s center seed is actually a powerhouse of antioxidants all on it’s own. That’s where this Super Antioxidant Avocado Seed Smoothie comes into the limelight.
Since coming across this information, I have been intrigued. Something new and exciting in the health and wellness scope, my human nature kicked in and I was instantly interested. I decided to test it out for myself, and see if the humble seed lives up to all that’s been said about it and to note how it made me feel once eating it.
Now, as with any new information, the flood of controversial comments and articles is bound to follow. It never ceases to amaze me on how quick the media is to backlash any new information with negativity, but I suppose instilling fear in the reader sells! I hardly see streams of articles exposing the truth about a lot of commercial food that’s eaten, and don’t get me started on the meat/dairy/animal product industry! It always seems to be hush hush on those fronts. But when the health and wellness industry stumbles across a gem, like the avocado seed, the controversy boils and bubbles over.
I suppose that’s just the world we live in unfortunately. And while yes, I do note the fact that there hasn’t yet been immense research done on the effects of human consumption of avocado seeds, it’s still a hell of a lot better than eating some of the ‘chemical shitstorms’ that are on our supermarket shelves.
“Avocado pits aren’t poisonous to humans in small quantities, but they contain a fungicidal toxin called persin that can harm domesticated animals. Persin is an oil-soluble compound found in the leaves, bark and pits of avocados.” Source
Health Benefits of Avocado Seeds
- It is an antioxidant: it prevents cell aging
- It prevents cardiovascular diseases thanks to its amino acid content
- Helps raise defenses and fight diseases caused by microbes, fungus, and parasites
- Slimming as it contains fat burning nutrients
- Astringent, great for treating diarrhea and gastrointestinal tract inflammation
- Aphrodisiac properties for increasing libido
- Revitalizing for fatigue and stress
- Joint and muscle pain relaxer when used topically
- Prevents tumor growth thanks to its flavonol content
- Regulates thyroid disorders
- It has a rejuvenating effect on the skin, eaten as well as applied, because it boosts collagen formation
There are a number of ways you can put your avocado seed to good use. Adding it to cereals, porridge’s or my favorite … Smoothies! Here are some easy steps you can take to make the most of your avocado and add the nutritional benefits of the seed to your diet.
Now this green smoothie recipe is so chokkablock full of antioxidants it’s scary! From the avocado seed alone, we’re getting a pretty mean dose of goodness, not to mention the Matcha powder which just takes the antioxidant levels sky high! I used this amazing organic Matcha powder from one of my favorite health food brands here in New Zealand Ceres Organics. After a couple of sips of this glorious smoothie, I felt instantly alert, rather energized and pretty damn happy! An hour later I was full of energy and on a 5km mission down the road so yup, it definitely gave me a boost!
- 1 Banana
- 1/2 Lemon (Peeled and de-seeded)
- 1cm Knob Ginger (Finely Diced)
- 1 Tsp Ground Organic Avocado Seed (See blog post for instructions)
- 1 Tsp Organic Match Powder
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach (Cleaned and rinsed)
- Coconut water (enough to reach your desired consistency)
- Handful of ice
- Place all ingredients into a blender
- Blend until your desired consistency is reached
- Add more coconut water for a thinner smoothie, or less for a thicker one
- Serve in your favorite mason jar or glass
- Enjoy the energy that follows
- Use organic where possible, especially the avocado seed
So if you’re feeling a little guilty about over indulging, or are super interested in using your avocado seed instead of composting it, or feel that you’re just not getting that many nutrients into your diet, this super antioxidant avocado seed green smoothie is definitely one for you!