Happy Spring! The birds are chirping, the sun is shining (for most of the time that is), there are blossoms everywhere and we’ve just got back from giving all the new born Spring babies some love at the animal farm. I just love this time of year!
As we begin to feel more energized, coming out of the cooler Winter months, healthy snacks can be a great way to increase your energy throughout the day. These absolutely delicious Mesquite Almond Superfood Slices are the perfect way to keep you full of beans and bursting with energy. Stabilizing your blood sugars (diabetic or not) has a huge effect on your energy levels.
So, to avoid slumps and sugar lows (which can leave you feeling flat and in desperate need of a re-charge), having a snack like these slices between meals, is a great way to keep that blood sugar beautifully balanced, leaving you with sustained energy.
We’ve got this gorgeous Prunus Campanulata tree outside our kitchen window, and this time of year it blossoms with the most prettiest pink flowers. The Tui birds love it so much, that we even had our resident Louis the Tui who I managed to take a few photos of. Isn’t he gorgeous?
This time of new beginnings is a great time to reflect, and take track of where you are with your health and well-being. For me, I feel there are quite a few areas that need improvement, and specifically I’ve been honing in on hormones.
Type 1 Diabetes is so complicated when it comes to hormones – and lately I’ve been feeling like mine are a little out of whack! But where to start when you’re wanting to figure out how your hormone levels are doing in your body?
This post too has some really interesting key points on balancing your hormones, and I found some juicy nuggets to take away and try incorporate into my diet/lifestyle.
Moving onto the recipe, these slices are so delish! Full of superfood goodness and they’re really quick and easy to make. Store them in the freezer, and let them thaw to get that awesome chewy texture.
Nutritional Benefits of Mesquite
- Flavor – mesquite has a sweet, nutty/malt taste which is very palatable
- Gluten-free & Low in Fat (3%)
- High protein (between 11-17%) as well as a high mineral content
- High in nutrients – such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and lysine.
- High in soluble fibre (25%) – which slows the release of sugar into the blood stream. Soluble fibres, such as galactomannin gum, in the seeds and pods slow absorption of nutrients, resulting in a flattened blood sugar curve. The gel-forming fibre allows foods to be slowly digested and absorbed over a four- to six-hour period, rather than in one or two hours.
- Low Glycaemic Index (GI) of 25 – making it a perfect alternative to regular higher GI sweeteners.
A delicious slice full of flavor and nutrients - perfect for balancing blood sugars and sustaining energy levels. Using the malty caramel taste of mesquite and naturally sweetened with dates - it's the perfect delicious snack.
- 200 g Dates - pitted
- 1/3 Cup Boiling water - added to dates to soften
- 1 Cup Almonds - raw unsalted
- 1 Scoop Pea Protein Powder - vanilla flavor
- 2 TBS Mesquite Powder - Organic
- Pinch of Salt
Put the dates into a glass bowl and add the boiling water. Leave aside and let the dates soften - use a fork to press them down to submerge them in the hot water.
Add the almonds to your food processor and blend until quite fine - about 4-5 seconds.
Add the protein powder, mesquite powder and salt and blend to combine.
Drain the dates from the boiling water, and add to the almond mixture.
Blend until all ingredients are combined.
Press the mixture down into a lined rectangular dish. Even out the mixture and press down firmly.
Please in the freezer overnight to set.
Remove from tray, slice into slices and enjoy.
Keep in the freezer in an airtight container.
Use Organic wherever possible - This recipe requires overnight setting in the freezer